Tuesday 10 February 2009

At last a positive blog from moi

I managed a full 5km on the treadmill yesterday. It took me 47 minutes but I am just chuffed that I now know that my body can survive that distance!!

I am starting to think I might be becoming a runner. Yesterday, a colleague asked me to do some work for them and I replied “sorry that will have to wait until tomorrow as I have to get my run in.” Yes, I Geraldine, put my run before my work and lo and behold the world did not stop spinning!!

My run did not start well as my legs were really aching and so much so that at 1.5km I dropped down to a walk. Now the Harvey Nic’s Geraldine would have thought stuff this and stopped but Runner Geraldine found herself annoyed at her body and thought come on you can do better than this. So I started to run again and soon I found the distance mounting up. Now I don’t know if all runners find this but I find that the slower I go the more it hurts so by actually put the treadmill speed up my legs started to feel better.

Anyway I was running along when I noticed I was coming up to 4.2 km which is the furthest I have been so far and I was still feeling okay so I continued on until 4.4km when I slowed to a walk as was pleased with getting as far as that. Then from somewhere I felt I still had a bit of a run I me so at 4.5km I pressed the increase speed button on the treadmill ended up running at a fair pace and just went for it until I got to 5km.

I am pleased that I have at least managed the distance. I am aware that I will need to factor in that when I hit outside that my time will increase but at least now I am convinced that I can make the finish line.

Last night that as soon as I got out the gym I called Coach DQ who was so relieved to finally hear me saying something positive about my running.

I am going back to the gym later on today as I can’t fit in a run tomorrow so I am going to attempt two days in a row. Even that last sentence demonstrates that I am turning into a runner as I am making sure I fit in the mileage for the week - I can feel the cocktails and designer shopping slipping further away in a haze of anti-blister socks and base layers…..

2 comments:

Mark said...

Coach DQ is proud of you. Now you know that you can do more than your body initially tells you that it can, the sky's the limit.

Keep it up but don't forget to continue to be glam on occasion.

Lee Maclean said...

Mrs Mac is chuffed to bits too.

hit analyzer
ProFlowers Free Shipping